Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Lugano, Switzerland


November 7, 2006

Catherine, Ben and I went to Lugano last weekend and had a wonderful time. I had been before in 2000, and it was just how I remembered it. It's has steep cobbled stone streets leading down into the piazzas on the gorgeous lakes. The mountains around the lake are a lot taller than the ones at Como. And you can see the giant, rocky Alps in the distance.
We rented bikes and rode around the lake. Even though Lugano is only an hour and half from Milan, I could really tell we were out of Italy. Things are cleaner, brighter and people are more helpful.
We took a funicular to the top of one of the mountains and enjoyed the spectacular views from up there. I really love the mountains and the lakes. It was pretty cold there, we were wearing coats, hats and gloves.
Then we had a great meal and found some swiss chocolates to buy. They were delicious.
I really like Switzerland and we hope to get back for one of the famous Christmas Markets before the holidays!

No comments: